Tuesday, October 15, 2013

jaakko pallasvuo & jake and dinos chapman

I got back last week from a short 2 week trip to Germany, Spain and a few days in Prague. I had a great time and was going to do alot of reading on the plane, but was still not feeling well and ended up just watching lots of trashy movies. But there were a few good shows I saw and two that I felt was related to my research.

I'll start with Finnish artist, Jaakko Pallasvuo who was part of a group exhibition called Startpoint: Prize for Emerging Artists at the DOX Centre for Contemporary Art in Prague, Chech.
Pallasvo's work Reverse Engineering,2013, stood out for because initially it was a digital video to be viewed on the internet. Then it drew me in with it's continually changing content. It reminded me of a blog with lot's of highly personal content. He talks directly to the web cam and even gives instructions to the viewer about making such videos. He discusses computer gam levels, art, film, interent, live journals, production and insecurities. He sound such as an annoying pop song and voice overs of men and women. The imgaes are of him talking, computer generated character talking, crude 3d computer graphic images and video games. He uses a few simple video effects to keep the work interesting. 



Next i saw a big show of Jake and Dinos Chapman at Galerie Rudolfinum in Prague. Very grotesque but the anthropomorphic kids were quite interesting.

jaakko pallasvuo
Reverse Engineering
Galerie Rudolfinum

No comments:

Post a Comment